The 2010 NY International Fringe Company

Friday, July 16, 2010

Check Please

Why does everyone assume that when a man and a woman are out and about, that it's a date?
Why does everyone assume that when a man and a woman are out that the woman has no money?
I know chivalry isn't dead, But nowadays woman can be a breadwinner too.



I went out earlier this week with a male friend.
friend.
Our ears were drawn into a lounge called The Living Room. We wandered in and settled down to listen to some live music.
There was a two drink minimum, so we ordered our drinks and enjoyed the jams.

The music was pretty loud so my friend and I couldn't really talk, but we did lean over the table to shout into one anothers ear to share our opinion of the music.
Towards the end of the bands set, our waitress came to the table as the music was booming and whispers into my friends ear. My friend reaches into his wallet and pays for our drinks.

wait.
I'm sorry, did my friend have a sign on his back that said ATM that I missed?
Did you not care to ask how we'd be paying?
Did you think I expected him to buy the drinks?

I was so angry.
I think it made me so angry because she never even bothered me.
It was like I didn't exist.
I'd been out with this friend a number of times and sometimes I pay, sometimes he pays, its kind of a game who gets the check first because we know when we go out again, it'll be the other persons turn.
But not this time, this waitress was set on having him & ONLY HIM pay for the drinks.
I don't even know how much it was, it was probably only $4, but the fact that she didn't ask...made me angry.

We went out to dinner after that.
I paid for the check.




- ER

No comments:

Post a Comment